Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Always take off your shoes when you are in the house.


All the talk shows and magazines are touting this as a new thing to do to keep your house cleaner and keep outside toxins off the rug. Martha Stewart even has a sign in her magazine that you can frame, so that you can ask nicely "Please remove your shoes."

But I was first taught this, back in high school, by all of my Italian friends' mothers. Sicilian to be exact. I of course, did not get any explanation as to why I had to take off my shoes, but as I walked by the ubiquitous living room that was not touched except during holidays (often with furniture draped in plastic furniture covers) I did not dare to ask. And although my feet often got cold, within 10 minutes of entering the house I was offered something warm and yummy to eat.

These days I also ask people to remove their shoes in the house. My parents have their own slippers already in my closet and I have nice warm slipper socks for everyone else.

While I will probably not have homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs or Italian Wedding Soup slowly simmering on the stove, I will have hot tea and guest cookies (if we haven't eaten them already).
Post a Comment