Monday, January 7, 2008

Climb Every Mountain

My husband and I went cross country skiing this weekend. We went to the South Cascades area in Washington State. Mt. St. Helens was directly to our Northwest, but the spectacular scenery makes you forget that you are near an active volcano.

The snow was light and fluffy but with 24 inches of it, it was a bit more like snow shoeing than cross country skiing. Snow shoeing. In wet sand. With cement shoes and 15 pound weights tied to each arm.

We were alone for the majority of the time and the only sounds were of woodpeckers and of me going:

Whhhhhoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
I'm Ok! I'm Ok!


After skiing for 3 1/2 hours and one very ungraceful (ski less) dismount from a 5 foot high snow bank, we headed back to the car. The wonderful, lovely, beauticious car. And in the car, we had this:






Ah, a yuppy lunch!

After lunch we started driving down the mountain. The only traffic we encountered was in the form of two deer standing in the middle of the road, acting very much like tourists from out of state.


Deer #1: Oh look! A Lewis & Clark historical marker!
Deer #2: Didn't we just stop at one a few miles back?

Deer #1: Well, yeah...but this is different! Lewis & Clark walked here!
Deer #2: Really? Lewis & Clark walked across this paved road? With the guard rails and everything?

Deer #1: Are you even listening to me? Lewis & Clark were here! They have a postage stamp for god's sake! Don't you have any respect for history?
Deer #2: Umm...Didn't Meriweather Lewis kill and eat Great, Great, Great, Uncle Leo and then wear him as a coat?

Deer #1: Screw Lewis & Clark...let's go find some one's garden to mess with.
Deer #2: Finally!


Eventually, we got to the town of Stevenson, WA. and headed for the grocery store. I used the bathroom while my husband got me a cup of Oregon Chai (sorry, Tazo). The tag line for Oregon Chai is



Now I am normally sceptical of advertising claims, but in this case it really was true. Hot, sugary Nirvana.



Climb every mountain, search high and low
Follow every byway, every path you know.
Climb every mountain, ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow, 'til your muscles scream.


Update: My husband would like me to mention that it was more like 44 inches of snow. In addition, if you don't get the above reference (like he didn't) it is from The Sound of Music (butchered by me).
Post a Comment