Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Make connections



Last night, I attended the second annual Ignite Portland . I got to the Bagdad super early so I had a quick dinner in the adjoining restaurant. Although Hawthorne Blvd. is lined with awesome stores, only The Gold Door was able to whisk me inside for a few minutes. After all, I can shop anytime. Ignite Portland was starting tonight and 600 people had RSVP'd.

I ended up volunteering, got an official "STAFF" badge and everything. I basically met with sponsors and collected their swag: t-shirts, messenger bags, chap stick, etc. I was also in charge of tying up t-shirts (including ones from Jive Software) for the Todd Kenefsky t-shirt "cannon".

600 people had RSVP'd and we had to turn people away after 750 had entered (due to fire code laws). In case you are wondering, Paul Bingham was the first one in the door.

In all this, only one person, out of 750+, had a bit of a hissy fit. Only one! That is Portland for you.

One of the reasons I had gone to Ignite Portland was to network. I wanted to talk to people about Treasurelicious. Frankly, after making swag bags, smiling, answering questions and such I was just too tired to network.

So, here is what I would have said:

ME: You know how we all have stuff that we really love?

YOU: Oh yeah, certainly!

ME: And you know how fun it is to show your friends? Maybe even include it in your blog or on your website?

YOU: Oh yeah. Hey, I have a blog! Tell me more!

ME: Well, Treasurelicious lets you list your treasures, include a photo and a description. You can take the widget code and post your list on your website or blog.

YOU: Hey, that sounds like fun! It sounds simple but brilliant! I'm gonna go sign up now! And then I am gonna blog about it! Thanks so much!


For an example, see my Treasurelicious list in the sidebar. ============================>
Post a Comment