Monday, March 31, 2008

Keep your passwords safe


"Hey!" my lovely husband instant messaged me, "Want me to integrate that computer doodad with that other computer doodad to make your life easier?"

"Umm, sure, yes!" I instant messaged back.

"Ok, I just need your password." he said.

Now, I had recently upgraded my password to a high security, multiple digit, chock full of letters and hieroglyphics password and thus, had written this complicated password down on a post-it.

I walked to the room next door, gave my husband the post-it and went downstairs to take a nap. I was beat from last week, and it is often safer for all involved if I just go take a nap.

Three hours later, my husband woke me up to tell me that dinner was ready. As we ate, he explained what he had done to my computer (I will spare you the details.). Then he casually mentioned that had shredded the post-it that had had my password on it.

"What!?" I said, "You shredded my password!"

"Well, yeah." he said, I didn't want anyone else to get a hold of it."

"That was my only copy! Who the hell did you think was going to break in to the house in the last 3 hours in order to steal my password!" I yelled (but in a very constructive and loving way).

He looked at me, then went upstairs, opened up the container for the shredder and starting picking pieces out.

To his credit, he was able to piece it back together, figure out the password and save the day.

However, we obviously need to get a better shredder.
Post a Comment