Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Surround yourself with politicians

Martin and I moved here to Vancouver, WA about 5 years ago. It was 2 years after that, when I was volunteering for Planned Parenthood of the Columbia Willamette and going to see my legislators in Olympia, WA on a regular basis, when I realized my State Representative, Jim Moeller, was actually my neighbor.

(Hi Jim! Don't worry, my ballot has been sent in!)


The Mayor of Vancouver, Royce Pollard. Or, "squiggly bulb" as I call him (for his strong desire that everyone replace their regular light bulbs with CFL bulbs, lives around here too).

(Hi Royce! Don't worry, I won't tell the Mayor that I saw you jaywalking. Oh wait, I guess I just did.)

And now, I just read in the Vancouver Business Journal that another politician will be one of my neighbors. Do you remember all the construction going on near my house? Well, apparently, Vancouver City Councilman, Tim Leavitt, has bought one of the lots and will be building his house there.

(Hi Tim! Does these mean we might actually get stop lines painted on the roads now?)

But not any old house...a green house. A LEED (Leadership and Environmental and Energy Design) Gold level building. The house will be first be used for tours and workshops before Tim occupies it in 2009. While the thought of more cars and people congesting up our street does not thrill me, I am trying to think positively. Martin says that having a councilman thisclose to our house will keep the neighborhood all nice and shiny, and I just keep thinking of all the money I can make selling lemonade and cookies (organic of course) to the tour groups.

While I applaud Tim for wanting to build green, for being brilliant at getting local companies to fund part of the total cost of his house, and for saying "I felt it was time to actually walk the talk." [Quote from Tim Leavitt, in The Vancouver Business Journal.]

I know of some that don't care how green, recycled, sustainable, organic, environmentally friendly, solar, hydro, or hybrid he makes his house.





YOU DESTROYED OUR HOUSE. WHY COULDN'T YOU LEAVITT ALONE?
Post a Comment