Monday, December 8, 2008

Don't get grain-washed

Have you seen this symbol before?



It's the Whole Grains Council symbol, it's supposed to tell you quickly and easily that the food item you are holding, contains whole grains. We all love quick and easy ways to improve our health, right? With this in mind, I've been keeping an eye out for the stamp when I go shopping.



But then last week I was comparing nutrition information between two brands of whole wheat tortillas and noticed that even though they both have whole grains, and they both had tons of fiber, only one had the Whole Grains Council stamp. So I did a little investigating. I went to Marion Nestle's blog and found this,

The Whole Grains Council is a trade association/public relations agency that uses nutrition messages about the health benefits of whole grains to promote the products of its 160 member companies.


she continues to state

The Council takes advantage of a gap in regulations; the FDA has not defined the meaning of “whole grains” on food labels but, instead, has produced Guidance for Industry.


(Full blog post here.)

So basically, the Whole Grains Council is using the stamp to hi-light it's members that use at least some whole grains in their food.

I am very disappointed (but I suppose not that surprised) to hear this.

I'll just go back to looking for whole grains at the beginning of the ingredient list and at least 3 grams of fiber per serving size.
Post a Comment