Saturday, January 17, 2009

You Can't Win If You Don't Play

Today, January 17, 2009, it seems like any other day, right? Well, here in the Portland, Oregon area, today is Masterbacon. (Yes, you read that correctly. You can thank Verso for that name!) Contestants bring their favorite bacon dotted dishes and compete for bragging rights and the silver Pig trophy.


So yesterday, I began my prep work for my dish. First some broccoli carnage:



Then, the creation of the bacon rose buds. (I was actually trying to make bacon curls, but that didn't quite work. I realized that they looked like rose buds, Portland is the city of roses and viola! bacon rose buds!) To make your own, just cut the bacon lengthwise and cross wise.



Then roll up, stick a toothpick in it and microwave it for about 2 minutes on high.




See! Bacon rose buds!



And here, the finished product: Tart and Tangy Broccoli Salad with Bacon Rosebuds.



Will I win? Stay tuned....
Post a Comment