Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Ok To Follow

Last week, I went swing dancing at the PPAA with my friend Don Park.



Now, I've done all sorts of line dances before (thanks to my many summers at the Sandy Island, YMCA Family Camp on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH), and I've certainly been to one or two proms in my life, but apparently I've never taken formal partnered dance lessons before.

You know how I know this? Because I had the hardest time following. In a partnered dance, one person leads and one person follows. In life, I'm not used to following, I'm used to being in charge: my diabetes management, my career, all the choices I'm making.

If you can't keep up with me, you might be left behind. But with dancing, I was forced to wait. Seconding guessing what was going to happen, trying to plan ahead, just did not work.

Luckily for Don, he already knew me pretty well. Because I think we did 50% dancing, 40% laughing and 10% me yelling at him (but in an irresistibly cute way).

I had fun and learned a bit about myself all at the same time.

Oh, and ladies, did I mention that Don is single?

Feel free to engage him in other activities, just leave him free for me on Thursday nights.
Post a Comment