Monday, March 16, 2009

Watch It Wiggle

In my quest to keep my blood sugars stable and my snacking on carbohydrate loaded food down, I have re-ignited my love affair with Jello.



Luckily for me, Martin cannot stand Jello, so I always know how much is left in the fridge. I was telling my friend Don about my fresh romance with Jello and he mentioned (because sometimes he is a vegetarian) that gelatin comes from animals. I believe I said something like, "Good, I like eating animals." or some other massively clever remark. I continued on with, "Yeah, I know... ground up hooves."

But after going home, I wanted to make sure that I really did know what gelatin was made of. Well, turns out I was wrong. Gelatin is not made out of animals' hooves (as the urban legend wants us to think) but instead:

Gelatin is a protein produced by partial hydrolysis of collagen extracted from the bones, connective tissues, organs, and some intestines of animals such as domesticated cattle, and horses.

Source: Wikipedia

(Oh yum!)

Other things that use gelatin that may shock my vegetarian/vegan friends:

Color gels in professional lighting equipment
Pharmaceutical capsules
Photographic paper
Match heads
Sandpaper
Playing cards (it makes the surface smooth and glossy)
Paint balls
Peeps

So, will this newfound knowledge of gelatin keep me from eating it? No. In fact, I have Cherry flavored collagen chilling in the fridge right now!
Post a Comment