Thursday, August 27, 2009

Know Your Goal

Yesterday, I met with my trainer, Kara Carlson, of Northwest Personal Training for the 2nd (official) time. I'd been working hard for the last 4 weeks, even when I was in pain (non-exercise related). My clothes were getting too big, I could both feel and see myself getting smaller, so I was not at all concerned when the scale showed no weight difference from last month. Kara did the measurements of my body, and reported that I had lost from 1/2 to 1 inch everywhere she measured (and she measures lots of places). That I had reduced my body fat by 2%, and that my blood pressure and pulse rate had all gone down. All good news.

I think she worried that I would be discouraged that I hadn't met my goal weight for the month, but I was not. My true goal is to make exercise a daily habit, and in that arena I have succeeded with flying colors. Even when I wasn't feeling well, I made myself get up and exercise. It's become addictive, it's become a craving. It is part of me now and I never want to let it go.

So today, per Kara's suggestions I increased my outdoor walking routine from 30 minutes to a full 60. As I hit my second loop of the hill, my glutes were burning, my heart was pounding and I thought to myself. "This is really fucking hard."

But for that hour I felt strong, I felt energized and I felt alive.
Post a Comment