Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pass On Your Prose

When I packed books for our honeymoon in Europe, I vastly underestimated how many I would need. After plowing through all of them in the first week, I was craving books, and craving English.

When we got to Hotel Reutemann in Lindau, Germany, we asked the concierge if they had a book exchange area. He pointed to a wooden chest behind us. And in it I found Margaret Atwood's, The Handmaid's Tale, IN ENGLISH!

I snacked that book up so quickly!

It was the only book in English I had for the next two weeks. The other hotel's book exchanges were empty.

So when we went to the Czech Republic 5 years ago, I bought 12 used books, and shipped 3/4 of them ahead to my mother-in-law's house. I read them all and left them with her, for her to read, and for her to give to others that wanted to practice their English.

So, with Martin and I going to Washington D.C. soon, I'm planning another trip to the used book store. I never feel comfortable taking library books with me, and I like leaving the books behind for others.
Post a Comment