Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blend It. Blend It Good!

I've been eating fruit with yogurt (or cottage cheese) and a whole wheat English muffin (or Flax waffle or Trader Joe's Six Seed Almond bars) for breakfast pretty much every day for the past 8 months. As it turned to Winter, I started microwaving frozen fruit, but I could never get it quite right. So I decided I would try my hand at smoothies. And now, I am obsessed. They are a great way to use frozen fruit, are extremely portable, and let you be creative.

My dear friend Kristine, lent me her Super Smoothies book, and while I haven't done any of the recipes in it (I don't want to add fruit juice or sweeteners) it has given me food combination inspiration.

*WARNING* I don't like super sweet smoothies, so you may need to augment the recipes to your taste.

I put the blender on a food scale, and weigh each item one by one, so the ingredients are listed in grams. This saves time and clean-up.

My three favorite smoothies of the moment:



Pumpkin Smoothie


130g Canned Pumpkin Pie Mix (Measure it in to paper cups and freeze.)
113g Non-Fat Yogurt
101g Soy Milk
Splash of Ground Flax seed Oil
Heavy Dusting of Pumpkin Pie Spice
5 Ice Cubes

About 295 Calories, and 40 Carbohydrates (Check your ingredients for actual data.)

Strawberry Chocolate Smoothie


140g Frozen Strawberries
113g Non Fat Yogurt
202g Lite Chocolate Soy Milk
Splash of Ground Flax Seed Oil

About 260 Calories and 40 Carbohydrates (Check your ingredients for actual data.)

PB&J&B

140g Frozen Strawberries
16g Peanut Butter
101g Soy Milk
93g Banana

About 270 Calories and 35 Carbohydrates. (Check your ingredients for actual data.)

Enjoy, and please remember the first rule of Smoothie making: Always wash out the blender immediately after use!
Post a Comment