Friday, February 5, 2010

Kick Up Your Heels

Heels. Sure. You know them. The front and the end piece of the bread that no one ever wants to eat. At least in my house. Well, rather then throwing them out, composting them, or feeding them to wild life, I've been saving them in the freezer. Soon enough I had about 2 1/2 loaves of bread (all heels) and I needed to do something with them. So I made bread pudding.



Maple-Pecan Bread Pudding


I augmented a recipe I got from the "Everyday Food" Magazine
I used 18 slices of my bread (instead of a new baguette)
Did not butter the pan (used spray instead)
Doubled everything
Used about 1/2 of the maple syrup called for
And did not top the finished product with any extra maple syrup or whipped cream.

It turned out pretty well. It basically tasted like pancakes. I brought it to book club, and half the pan was gone by the end of the night. I will add more half & half next time, but it was fun to experiment.

Post a Comment