Thursday, February 18, 2010

Use What's On Hand


Friends and family often bring us treats from their travels and sometimes we just stop eating certain foods. So, as I've been cleaning and organizing the pantry, I made a list of items we needed to use. Each week I try to find a way to use an item up. It's helped my creativity and my desire to not be wasteful.



Whole Wheat Couscous

I've decided that it tastes like air, so I have no desire to buy anymore of it. But rather than tossing the 1/3 of a cup I had left, I made breakfast out of it.

Steep couscous in boiling water (it should be a 1:1 ratio) for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork, add a splash of milk, 4 pecans and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Peppermint Drinking Chocolate

Peppermint Chocolate Smoothie
1.5 TB Peppermint Mix
93g Frozen Banana
113g Non Fat Yogurt
101g Soy Milk

About 275 Calories and 44 Carbohydrates

Peppermint Chai Concentrate

Peppermint Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen Concentrate
93g Frozen Banana
113g Non Fat Yogurt
101g Soy Milk

About 280 Calories and 45 Carbohydrates

Huckleberry BBQ Sauce


BBQ Chicken Pizza

First follow Mark Bittman's recipe for Easy Whole Grain Pizza, then top with BBQ sauce, grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, and sliced peppers.



Being cheap tastes really good!
Post a Comment