Friday, May 28, 2010

Use Your ABCs

One of my aerobic routines involves a hill near my house. (I used to call it the hill from hell, but now it's my best friend. It's interesting how things change.)

So this hill is quite steep, and again, closely located to my house. So it is my new *hill of choice*. A few weeks ago I started walking up and down it 10 times, making sure I was huffing and puffing and really working hard. But then, the hill got easier. Which meant it was time to up the intensity. So I added 5 jumping jacks or 5 invisible jump ropes (i.j.r. for short) to the bottom, top and middle of the hill. And I made myself go up/down the hill 15 times.

I had a difficult time keeping track of how many times I had gone up and down the hill. I kept stopping to count how many jacks or i.j.r.,I was doing (5), then forgot how many hills I had done. So, I decided to use the alphabet. I wanted to do 5 jacks, etc., so instead of counting 1,2,3,4,5 I "counted" A,B,C,D,E instead. I was able to do 5 of each exercise AND keep the total number of hills I had done all in my head at once.

It's worked well so far, and I look forward to applying my new little trick to other situations.
Post a Comment