Sunday, July 11, 2010

Share The Road


I've ridden my bike through the streets once or twice, but I am by no means a cyclist. Now that the weather is nice there seem to be more bikes on the road. I've always wondered what 'Share The Road' really meant. I'm happy to do it, but just how would you like me too? I recently read numerous issues of Bicycling Magazine, and although I saw lots of interesting stuff, I did not read about what drivers can do to be safe. So, I emailed the magazine and was given a link to a recent article.

Here's the gist:

FOR THE DRIVERS
1. Slow down when passing bicyclists
2. Leave at least 3 feet between you and the bicyclist
3. Always check before taking a turn (especially a right hand one)

FOR THE BICYCLISTS:
1. Ride is single formation
2. Use hand signals
3. Make eye contact

That's easy enough, right? See you on the road!
Post a Comment