Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do What I Can't

The simple truth is that I cannot do anything to reverse/cure/get rid of my Type 1 Diabetes. I was diagnosed 21 years ago this month. 21 years ago, they told me there would be a cure in 5 years, so please excuse me if I no longer get excited every time there is a "breakthrough". I am perfectly fine living the rest of my life as a Type 1 diabetic. My insulin pump makes my life easier, my attitude makes my life wonderful.

I'd thought about raising money for the JDRF in honor of my 21st year of diagnosis, I briefly thought about having a party. But what I really want. What I really, really, really want, is for everyone I know to do everything they can to prevent themselves from getting Type 2 Diabetes. And if they have already been diagnosed, doing everything to reverse/lessen it.

Even after 21 years, I still remember being the terrified 14 year old who found herself in the Intensive Care Unit, saddled with a chronic disease with no cure. So if not for me, do it for her.
Post a Comment