Thursday, April 14, 2011

Divide And Conquer

Lately, I've been dividing my time between organizing the PDX Applications For Good Code-A-Thon, looking for a Community Manager job, and getting this body o' mine into even better shape.

I have found that all 3 need a solid foundation to ensure success, but results are seen the quickest when organizing an event. You make a checklist and you check things off. Easy.

Getting a body into shape can be a slow process, but you often feel small changes, like sore muscles, which let you know you are heading toward your goal. You stick to your plan, adjust as needed, and big changes will be seen and felt.

Job searching, however, can feel like swimming against a tide. Should you focus on online job postings? Should you focus on creating contacts? Are any of your tactics even working? So I apply what I've learned from fitness, to job searching: set goals, be persistent, move forward. And when I get angry or frustrated about having to job search again, when I thought I was set for quite awhile, I use it to fuel my workouts. I know that eventually, I will hit that wave, and the ride to the beach will be swift.
Post a Comment