Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spice It Up! Part 2 of 3


As you know, I like food, I like it a lot. So, I've been experimenting with adding herbs & spices to my food, thereby adding taste without extra calories or carbohydrates.

Experiment #2: Chinese Style Five Spice Powder

Five Spice Powder is made of: Cinnamon, Anise, Fennel, Ginger, Clove, and Licorice Root. You can find it any grocery store.

I normally add cocoa, cinnamon, and ginger to my morning smoothie, but a recipe in Weight Watchers Magazine, for Chocolate Spice Cupcakes, where they use both the Five Spice Powder and some chocolate, inspired me to add it to my morning smoothie. I expect it to have quite a kick!

Update: The Five Spice Powder is a wonderful addition to the smoothie. I used a heaping 1 tsp the first time, and it was yummy. It reminds me a little of what Chai tastes like. I may add more Five Spice next time, to really bring out those flavors.
Post a Comment