Saturday, August 6, 2011

It Has Nothing To Do With You

I usually try not to post things late at night, but after a day of nursing a wicked cold my mind is swirling with various topics. And the best way to get it to quiet down is by getting one out.

In the past few years I have a handful of friends who have essentially freaked out on me. After asking my opinion about weight loss or health, and not liking my answer (to lose weight you need to reduce the calories you are eating) they have called me names, unfriended/blocked me from various social networks, and stopped talking to me. And as much as these actions sting, I know that they have nothing to do with me. Each person is scared and/or in pain and it's much easier to lash out at someone than to stop and hear the truth (you are the only one responsible for the choices you make).

So I back off and hope that they find those magical tenants. That they need to put themselves first in life, that accepting responsibility opens many doors, and that they have the power within them to attain the goals they want so desperately.

And every once in awhile, a friend returns. And I bask in the glow of their new found self. And it makes me hopeful that more will do the same. Not because I want to hear that I was right, but because I want to hear that they found their happiness.
Post a Comment