Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Count On It

I made turkey stock from a Thanksgiving turkey a while back, and recently also made ham stock. Making stock is so incredibly easy (put cooked carcass in pot, cover with water, simmer for 2 hours, strain out bits, skim off fat) and it tastes so good that when we recently bought a rotisserie chicken, I made stock out of that too!

Normally I would make a soup out of the stock, throw in some veggies, some beans, some meat, some pasta and call it done. But since I am currently on a reduced calorie diet I had to think up a new way to assemble it. I thought about preparing each soup individually. This way I could count the calories/carbohydrates for the beans and pasta. And I thought about just letting it go. But then it dawned on me! Why not add something to the soup that is easy to count out ... pot stickers*!

So, this weekend we will be having chicken and pot sticker soup with sauteed mushrooms, and bok choy. I can cook it all up at once, and can easily count out the pot stickers to determine calories and carbohydrates.

Problem solved!


* tortellini or ravioli will also work, but depending on size, may take longer to count out.

Post a Comment