Monday, December 12, 2011

Start The Insanity

As you know, I don't do exercise "programs" as prescribed by the creators. I believe that pushing yourself to extremes for 30, 60, or 90 days is a recipe for burnout, frustration and injury. I prefer to take the routines included in the program and fit them into my ongoing program. Let's call it Fit365.

But because these exercise programs are so frustrating to people, friends have been kind enough to gift them to me. One of these programs is INSANITY.

Mostly a cardio program, INSANITY is essentially a series of sports drills. It's easy to follow along, there are no complicated moves like in TurboFire, and since you basically do the drills over and over, just at a faster pace, you don't have to think too much. (Which some days, is just what I'm looking for.)

INSANITY is a HIGH IMPACT program. Unlike most programs, there is no one doing a low impact version of the exercises. So I just make up my own modifications (like I do if I am taking a class) and yes, I still get very sweaty. In general, the program reminds me of my high school sports training which, interestingly enough is how I got my ouchy knees. I am always conscious of getting a good workout while not going too far.

Shaun T. talks a lot, but because he is breathing hard and panting so much, some how it comes off as adorable. (He pants so much, that Beachbody has added a subtitle option to the DVD menu.)

At around 15 minutes all the guys start taking their shirts off. This is good for motivation but bad if you find yourself stopping what you are doing to stare at their ripped bodies. The ladies start off scantily clad, there generally is nothing left for them to shed and still make it a family friendly DVD.

All in all, it's a nice basic program. And a nice complement to P90X (which is mostly strength training). I'm very grateful to the friend that gave me her discarded copy. And I plan on using it a lot. I would have never shelled out $150 for it, so I'm happy I was able to get it another way.
Post a Comment