Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ditch The Dextrose

If you saw my grocery cart at the store, you would probably be quite confused. While 90% of my cart is filled with fruit, dark chocolate, whole grains, yogurt, lean meats and veggies, I also often have Sweetarts, Gatorade/Powerade* and candy fruit slices. You might just assume I have a sweet tooth, but these items are actually for medical purposes only. Because I have Type 1 diabetes, I often have low blood sugars (the fitter I get, the more I have unfortunately) and the best way to treat them is with fast acting sugars that make my blood sugars spike as fast as possible. And thus, I collect food with Dextrose in it.

Here's the irony of the situation. What do medical professionals claim is one of the causes of Type 2 diabetes (a similar but different disease than Type 1)? Long term repeated stress on the organs of the body from consumption of fast acting sugars that spike the blood sugar.

While I appreciate that the cost of my "medicine" is low due to all the others that are using it for pleasure, it saddens me to know of the damage they are doing to their bodies. I suppose the not very silver lining is that if/when they are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, they will then get to treat their low blood sugars with their favorite fast acting sugars. But the heart palpitations, sweaty hands, and general panic that goes along with a low blood sugar will probably ruin any pleasure of being able to eat the food.


* Gatorade has the dextrose, while Powerade has High Fructose Corn Syrup, so technically, the Gatorade works faster, but they both spike my blood sugar fast.
Post a Comment