Monday, February 6, 2012

Have A Blast

WARNING: I am going to talk about firearms. If you don't like firearms, feel free to look at these pictures instead.

----------
Although I originally earned my NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate with a higher caliber gun (.40/.45) I have spent most of my time with .22s and have become used to the ping! sound of the shot, the small amount of kick from the firearm when the explosion happens inside, and the general zen like feeling I get after shooting a few magazines (10 bullets=magazine).

But when we went to the range on Sunday, my husband decided to rent a Glock 19 9mm(this is higher caliber than a .22). When it was my turn, I checked my eyes and ears (safety glasses, hearing protection) got into the stance I had learned, aimed and fired off the gun. The explosion was so much bigger than I was used to, that I literally went, "Whhhhhhhhhhooooo!" after shooting it. Which of course made all the guys to the left of me laugh their heads off. I had to put the gun down for a bit to catch my breath and then shot another round. Every time I shot it, it felt like the explosion inside the gun was traveling down through my hands to my feet, then back up from my feet all the way to my head. And frankly, I felt a little scared. After about 4 shots, I had to step back and just stop because I was so overwhelmed with adrenaline.

After about 10 minutes of stepping away and catching my breath, this little voice inside me said, "Again! Again!" So I went back up to line and shot one more time. This time, I felt the explosion travel down through my hands to my feet, then back up again, but this time I started laughing. I had to put the gun down because I was laughing so much. It was like a shot of morphine to the blood stream. Pure pleasure.

Apparently, not everyone feels the same way I do when shooting, the range safety officer looked at me like I was crazy, when I tried to explain the feelings I got. My husband can't relate either, so I will just have to enjoy my endorphin high all by myself.

Monday morning the first thing I thought of when I woke up was that Glock 19.
Post a Comment