Friday, March 2, 2012

Chocolotize Your Fiber

Yeah, yeah, chocolotize isn't a word. Well it is now. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, fiber is our friend. It cleans out our digestive systems, it keeps us full longer and it can even help prevent spikes in blood sugars due to high glycemic index foods. I'm always on the look-out for easy ways to add more to my diet. I eat lots of beans, fruit, whole grains (popcorn included) and dark leafy greens but once in awhile I want some chocolate.

On a total PMS related impulse purchase, I bought the new Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownies, and I'm glad I did. They are fantastic! Keep in mind that they are only 90 calories each, so they are quite small, so you need to eat them slowly and savor them, but I really think they are great. (I've re-bought them 4 times now.) I don't eat them on a daily basis, I save them for when I need a chocolate fix.



I had been buying a chocolate fiber bar at Trader Joe's, but the Fiber Ones are better in at least 3 ways:

1. I don't have to trek 30 minutes to get them
2. They taste better (more chocolaty)
3. They are labeled individually with their nutritional values, so I don't have to get out the sharpie and do it myself.

Seriously, give them a try. But remember, they are SMALL so go slowly!

Note #1: Nutrition info for one brownie: 90 calories, 3g fat, 18 carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 1 g protein

Note #2: In general, I prefer to eat food that is as natural as possible, but if the food scientists have added a benefit that I like, and it tastes good, I will often go for it.
Post a Comment