Saturday, April 14, 2012

Soup It Up

In the winter, nothing warms me up and fills me up for lunch quite like soup. I have two creations that I go back to time and time again, and I thought I'd share them with you.

Curry It Up!

Add
1 cup Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup (I like Pacific Natural Food) and 1/2 cup lightly rinsed chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) to a microwave safe bowl and microwave until hot (or heat on the stove in a saucepan). Add curry powder to taste.

Add a serving of a whole grain side: slice of pumpernickel bread, whole grain tortilla chips, etc.

The beans add protein and fiber to the meal and pair nicely with the soup. Adding the curry takes the flavor up a notch without adding any calories, fat, or salt. It makes me warm, full, and has a nice sweet flavor to it.


Tasty Tomato & Tuna
1 cup Progresso High Fiber Creamy Tomato Basil Soup heated on the stove or in the microwave

and

3 oz of chunk white tuna, drained but otherwise plain piled on to 1 small tortilla or slice of whole grain bread topped with 1 slice cheddar cheese and toasted in the toaster. Top with fresh or dried basil.

The soup is a bit sweet for me, so the plain tuna evens it out. And again, it leaves me warm and full, and happy.

I also often follow up the warm portion of my lunch with a green salad or raw veggies.

These lunches are nutritious, easy, fast and they fill me up. All qualities I am looking for in my food.
Post a Comment