Friday, August 17, 2012

Step Up

My mother is having Total Hip Replacement (THR) surgery on Monday. It's been about 3 months since the MRI was read and in that time we have gone doctor shopping, walker and raised toilet seat shopping, and to a 2 1/2 hour pre-op class at the hospital. I also introduced her to the wonders of narcotics (doctor approved of course).

My Aunt has come in from Georgia to help out, my brother has signed up for shifts for the hospital and meal drop offs, and my father has acquired one of the most valuable items so far: a free parking space in downtown Portland for the next 5 weeks.

I have created a schedule, assigned meal drop offs, alerted friends and family, and helped set up her guest room so it is walker friendly. And because I am not working and do not have any children, I plan on staying over as much and as long as she needs me. My mother, her friends, and some of my family members keep saying how wonderful it is that I am doing so much. But with my availability, and the memories of my own pre-operation terror and post-operation exhaustion still fresh in my mind, I can only answer, "How could I not?" Healing is a huge emotional and physical drain.

If I can take away even just 5% percent of her other worries, I consider it time well spent.

Please do me a favor and send some positive thoughts her way. Thank you.
Post a Comment