Sunday, September 2, 2012

Get The Right Tool

It's been almost 2 weeks since my Mom had her Total Hip Replacement (THR) surgery. There were a few bumps along the road, and she has a few more weeks of healing ahead of her, but it should be all smooth sailing now.

One of the major things I learned through this experience is to get the right tool for the job. But that sometimes you don't know what that tool is until you are actually in the thick of the situation.

For example, my Mom picked out her walker weeks before surgery. Because of this she was able to get one that was tall enough to fit her, and skinny enough to get through the doors of the condo. But she also needed a raised toilet seat, and something to use in her walk in shower. Her sister sent a raised toilet seat and Mom had some crazy idea that we could haul a lawn chair into the shower and then she would put the toilet seat on that chair so that she could take a shower safely. But I was having none of that.

After watching what the nurses used, a commode, I had the brilliant idea to just buy one of those, no matter the price. Turns it out it was only $60, was pre-assembled, and works great for both the toilet and the shower. It has been so great, I would have paid $1k for it.

So it's been a mixture of preparedness and adapting on the fly. And as I said, it seems to be working out well.

Thanks for all your happy thoughts and well wishes for my family.
Post a Comment