Friday, November 2, 2012

Go Pro (biotics)

I am starting a second round of antibiotics to try and destroy the sinus infection that seems to think it can live in my head. This means all the "bugs" both good and bad inside my body have little targets on them. Phew! Phew! Phew! and the antibiotics shoot them dead.

But with no good "bugs" things can go helter skelter, resulting in my least favorite medical condition: a yeast infection. So far, with my twice daily ingestion of bacteria rich yogurt and the occasional bratwurst with sauerkraut, I seem to be winning that battle. But a girl can only eat so much yogurt before she wants to just chuck it against the wall.

So, with 2 more weeks of antibiotics ahead of me, I am adding another pro biotic to my diet: Kombucha. Kombucha is essentially fermented tea. It is a favorite of both my mother in law and hipsters everywhere. Although you technically can home brew it, that just isn't going to happen in my house. So I went on a exodus for bottled Kombucha. Much to my shock, Trader Joe's didn't have it, but my local grocery store, Fred Meyer did.

I ended up with GT's Synergy Kombucha (a combination of Kombucha, juice, and 100% pure love). The juice is added to enhance the flavor.

I was a little nervous at first but quickly grew to like the bubbly, tea-like flavor. My current favorite is their Cosmic Cranberry. I'm glad I've found another weapon to use in my fight against yeast infections. Hurrah!


Post a Comment