Monday, November 5, 2012

Prepare For The Worst

I have been trying to put together an Emergency Preparedness kit for years. I research what the Red Cross and others suggest we have on hand, and start to collect the items but I never seemed to finish.

I tried to cheap out once and just refill plastic juice bottles with water. When I finally got back to working on the kit, the bottles had burst, flooding the plastic container with water and ruining the candles, flashlights and such I had collected. It had been so long since I last opened the container that the water was actually moldy.

After cleaning up that smelly mess, I sat down and thought long and hard about what was stopping me from completing this necessary task. And I finally realized that it felt wasteful to buy duplicates of things we already own. So I decided on a different plan. Rather than buying all the items the Red Cross suggests, I would instead create a document cataloguing the items and where they were in the house, so that in case of emergency we can just grab them. This epiphany opened a flurry of activity and I even figured out (and noted) how to 1) Turn off the water to the house and 2) Turn off the gas line to the house. I also made emergency kits for each car.

Here's an example of what it looks like:

 
Items (description, number, location):
  1. Blankets
    1. Red fleece blankets, 2, living room
    2. Down comforters, 2, our bedroom
    3. Blue down comforter, Lia's office
    4. White cotton blankets, 2, front bedroom
    5. Green blanket, extended emergency kit
    6. Waffle comforter, Martin's office
    7. Brown comforter, front bedroom
  2. Bleach, under sink in laundry room
  3. Bucket, 2; under sink in laundry room; part of house emergency kit
  4. Car Emergency Kits, 2; trunk of each car
  5. Charcoal for grill, 1 bag, in garage near side door
  6. Cooler for insulin, 2, in pantry
  7. Duct Tape, plastic drawers in garage
  8. Dust masks, house emergency kit

 Each car emergency kit is checked by me after each oil change (2x a year) or before a long trip, and the household emergency kit is checked 2x a year.
Visit Red Cross.org and/or Ready.gov and start preparing your own kit. You can assemble it yourself (like I did) or buy a prepared kit.
I only ended up having to buy a few things, and having all this in place has made me feel so much more prepared for whatever mother nature has in store for us. Be prepared! Be safe!
Post a Comment