Monday, January 14, 2013

Speak Up

Last week I did an interview with the local community access television channel. On camera. At the pool. In my bathing suit, towel, and bathing cap.

I was minding my own business, doing laps, when one of the lifeguards asked me if I would mind doing a quick interview with CVTV (I had seen the cameras already, so it wasn't a total surprise.) I'm not sure if it was the endorphins, insanity, or total and utter confidence (or maybe a mix of all three) but I said "Yes." I was able to get a few more laps in while they took some B-roll (background shots) and then hauled myself out of the pool to do the interview. (As my lane mate shrank away from the cameras in utter horror.)

They basically wanted to know about how wonderful the community center is, how I use it for various activities, and if it has impacted my life in a positive way. I had done an interview with CVTV before, on behalf of Planned Parenthood, so I wasn't nervous. I tried my best to the answer questions thoughtfully without huffing and puffing too much. It probably took about 5 minutes and then I was able to hop back in the pool and continue my workout.

I'm happy to encourage Vancouverites to get out and enjoy what the city has to offer, and I'm happy to encourage them to be more active. But if I can't get a swimming lane anymore because they are all flocking to my pool, I'm going to be very frustrated.
Post a Comment