Monday, February 18, 2013

Friends Come In All Shapes And Sizes

One of the reasons I started swimming at the local pool was to meet new friends.

Mistake #1: Swimming is a solitary activity.

Mistake #2: 7pm is not a popular time to be at the pool.

Mistake #3: Fighting for an open lane can make people, let's say, cranky.

But somehow, I still have made a motley crew of friends.

D. - Probably 15+ years older than me. I taught him how to breathe properly when swimming and now he spends his time doing laps instead of "oh my god, I'm drowning!" gasps.

V. - 10 years my senior, retired veteran who dreams of sailing. Although quite obese, he smokes most people in the number of laps he can do. He helped critique my swimming and gave me some good ideas. We often have fascinating conversations when the lanes are already full.

K. - Loquacious and spunky 10 year old girl. Seems to fear nothing. Hilarious to talk to. Our birthdays are 3 days apart.

I had hoped to meet a band of smart, athletic, women my age, but as usual, I found friends from different age groups and genders. And I'm fine with that. I learn more about myself that way.
Post a Comment