Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Make A Course Correction: Part 1

After a recent horrible phone interview, which left one of us in tears of frustration (Can you guess who?) I decided to take a step back from my job search.

Way back, back to high school and personality type tests. I took one and I came up with "Harmony Seeking Idealist"

Your personality type: "Harmony-seeking Idealist"

Quietly forceful, original and sensitive. Tend to stick to things until they are done. Extremely intuitive about people and concerned for their feelings. Well-developed value systems which they strictly adhere to. Well-respected for their perseverance in doing the right thing. Likely to be individualistic, rather than leading or following.

Careers that could fit you include:

Counselors, clergy, missionaries, teachers, medical doctors, dentists, chiropractors, psychologists, psychiatrists, writers, musicians, artists, psychics, photographers, child care workers, education consultants, librarians, marketeers, scientists, social workers.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. The full description of a Harmony Seeking Idealist blew my mind even further. This was me on paper. Someone had put into words the things I often can't. And so I decided to stop comparing myself to others and start celebrating my uniqueness.

And if someone had already figured out possible career paths of someone with my personality type, then why not start there? But I had already tried some of those careers (SpecialEd teacher, social worker, psychologist, child care worker) and kept getting stuck.

And then I was hit with a pretty bad cold. A stay in bed unless eating or going to the bathroom cold. Too sick to watch T.V. but not well enough to read and so I just lay there and pondered: How can I have a job in a profession I am well suited for while avoiding previous issues? And it finally came to me: change the population and change the subject. Rather than kids, it will be adults. Rather than SpecialEd it will be English... (to be continued)
Post a Comment