Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Be Happy For Benadryl

I cannot recall exactly when it started happening, but a few weeks (months?) ago my allergy shots starting getting stronger. Which meant I was having local reactions at each injection site, plus I felt miserable from 24-48 hours after the shots. My weekends were spent lying in bed or watching silly movies made for kids.

But a few weeks ago, I got desperate and took some Benadryl. Well, technically it is the Target brand, but basically it is the same thing. I had been ordered to have it on hand in case I had a huge reaction to the shots, but I had never used it. Until that fateful day.

And now, for the past three weekends, I take a Benadryl on Friday afternoon, an hour after my injections (when I am home and no longer driving) and then later on in the evening.

I usually start feeling itchy  again (the spiders in my nose and ears that are knitting a wool sweater) about 5pm on Saturday and take 2 Benadryl then. I get sleepy, but at least I'm not miserable.

And Sundays I am at about 75% energy level but am no longer, like I said, miserable. I have 8 more weekly shots left and then I get to space them every 4-6 weeks.

Things that have been my best friends during this:

1. Heating pad/microwavable rice pack (apply directly to head).
2. Funny/nostalgic T.V. shows or movies
3. A wonderful, supportive husband, who picks up my slack when I feel sick.
Post a Comment