Monday, December 9, 2013

You Don't Always Have To Reinvent The Wheel

I currently teach two English Conversation Circles classes a week. That means I am responsible for two lesson plans a week. And since the classes are different levels, and since I hadn't found a book or coursework that I liked 100%, I have been basically writing two unique lesson plans a week for the past 6 months. (So that's why she is hardly blogging.) Most of the lesson plans have been a hoot to teach, and I doubt my students would have learned these things anywhere else, so it was totally worth it.

Here are some of the things I've taught:

* All about the Portland Timbers Soccer team (including the official team schedule)
* The prep school in the US that was selling T-Shirts that said, WTF (We're The Falcons), and the uproar it caused.
* How Dolce & Gabana created a perfume marketed for babies
* One about bullying that used Pixar's For The Birds, short.

And while it has been an extremely creative 6 months, I am a little tired. Enter my savior ...

The Oxford Picture Dictionary




and its best friend

The Oxford Picture Dictionary Low Beginner Workbook.


The dictionary is chock full of clearly labelled and categorized pictures, and the workbook has worksheets that go along with these pictures. It has been very helpful for my beginner students, and my advanced students like it too. I always supplement the lessons with other photos of the objects we are talking about, or the items themselves, if portable (dish, plate, napkin, etc.). I also use flashcards, word searches, or hangman (the android app I have on my tablet is especially fun for small groups) to really cement the vocabulary words.

While using these books has cut my prep time per lesson from 3 hours to 1 hour, I'm sure I'll need to do some unique lesson plans again. But for now, I'm just going to focus on the wheel that someone else invented for me. Especially since I may have private students very soon.





Post a Comment